The Minister of Environment and Energy, Costas Skrekas, announced the granting of an amount of 100 million euros to 200,000 households for the replacement of old air conditioners, refrigerators and freezers.
According to Mr. Skrekas, the program will start in April, while the replacement of up to three devices will be subsidized.
A basic condition for taking action is the recycling of old devices.
What the new electrical appliance subsidy program envisages:
In detail, the program includes the replacement and recycling of air conditioners, refrigerators and freezers, as these devices create the largest loads of electricity.
- Beneficiary households will be able to replace up to three electrical appliances.
- The program will benefit 200,000 households.
- Subsidy rates will range from 30% to 50% per household, depending on annual income.
Regarding the evaluation of applications, social and income criteria will apply, with the annual income being the most important of them. Priority will be given to vulnerable social groups, such as the disabled, single-parent families and those with many children.
It is estimated that more than 380,000 energy-intensive devices will be replaced and recycled.
- The average energy savings that each household will have is estimated at 1,000 KWh per year. This means that a household with medium consumption, up to 5,000 KWh per year, is expected to achieve up to 25% energy savings. In cases of greater use, the percentage can even exceed 40%.
- From these savings, it is estimated that citizens will see a reduction in their household electricity bills from 150 to 300 euros per year.
- The total savings of electricity production that our country will achieve, with the implementation of the program, is estimated to reach 209,000 MWh per year.
- Greece will achieve a significant reduction in carbon dioxide emissions by 126,000 tons per year.
- The benefit to the Greek economy from the reduction of natural gas and oil imports, due to the installation of new equipment, is estimated to amount to 15 to 27 million euros per year.
The application process will be easy and fast, with an electronic application in the information system of the program, while those interested will be able to apply directly at retail stores.
The subsidy will be given to the beneficiaries with a discount coupon, which will be deducted from the price of the new electrical appliances. The information system will automatically evaluate the applications of the citizens based on the income and social criteria and will classify them in the respective subsidy scale.
The delivery and installation of the new devices will be done in parallel with the collection of the old ones for recycling. The implementation stages of the process will be automatically controlled by the digital platform.
In case of exhaustion of the available funding, the creation of a list of runners-up is foreseen, who will be able to benefit by securing additional resources.
The new program will also help tackle the climate crisis, as it will reduce emissions by 126,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide each year.